Remember I said there was an unfinished project from Sunday. Well here it is, done and dusted. In truth, all I managed to do on the day was create the structure. I left the decoration part until I was back home safely, ensconced in my craft room, surrounded by all my bits and bobs.
I first saw the concertina box/book idea at a stall at the Ally Pally Craft show this year. I asked the lady who was demoing, how she put it together and she said that it was easy to find on the internet. Well, it wasn't. I hadn't a clue which words to throw at google. And those I chose, didn't throw up the project I was after.
However, I persisted with ever more inventive search words and finally found this tutorial here.
I made this particular box with no specific purpose in mind, except to try it out and see how simple it was to assemble. I loved making altered books a few years ago, with niches inside but it takes a lot of work and bucket loads of sharp blades to cut them out. This seemed like a great way to achieve the same effect with less effort. And having now trialed it, I can confirm that yes it is indeed easy to make.
And now that I've acquainted myself with the technique, I can see myself making it in larger sizes in the future. And maybe, it'll be created the other way around, as in, I'll have the idea first, then I'll put it together.