Pages

Friday 2 March 2012

Resisting Glue & Seal

You just have to ask.

 If you put it out there into the world, the answer comes back. And so it was with my previous post which ended with my deliberating whether I was going to be able to remember how to use Ranger's 'Glue & Seal'. All I could recall was Lindsay saying that Tim Holtz swears by it as the adhesive he uses to attach his metal embellishments to his tags. But she was creating quite a buzz with her resist technique which allowed you to blend inks around an image, to create a halo of colour.

Well you could have blown me down with a feather when yesterday, she posted a brilliant tutorial with complete step by step instructions. So much easier to follow than having to rely on my poor memory.

So, in an effort to try it out, I created a couple of ATCs.





The first one I tried went a little astray. I stamped the clock image with walnut distress ink but didn't heat set it enough. When I brushed over the Glue & Seal, it took the ink with it. However, though a mistake, the result wasn't too unpleasant so I stayed with it. I then blended acrylic paints onto the background and wiped the excess away from the clock design. I then stamped the chandelier and again, the resist held up.




With the first ATC, I was testing whether it worked with paints. This time around, I wanted to practice the 'halo' effect. I stamped the image of the woman with archival black ink, added colour with promarkers and then brushed over the G&S. Then, with a blending tool and pad, I added brushed corduroy distress ink, sweeping the ink outwards from the image. It's not the best example of the effect. You'll get a better idea looking at the samples Lindsay's made. (Kory, if you're reading this, I used Mister Huey's Calico White on this one lol).

And if you're a local blog reader, Lindsay's at the Leigh show this weekend. Do go and say Hi.  She's a lovely person and has a wealth of tips and techniques to impart. Just 5 minutes in her company and you'll definitely learn something you'll want to go home and try.

Right, I'm off to go and take advantage of the sun that's beaming through my window.

Have a wonderful creative weekend

Paul x

13 comments:

Cath Wilson said...

Ooh, lovely to see you playing with inky techniques, Paul - great info, too. I bet that would work with most glues since most of them give a resist effect, as I've often accidentally discovered when applying too much x

kjjc said...

looks good to me Paul.

Kory K said...

Of course I'm reading!

Beautiful!!!

:)

-kory

The Gentleman Crafter said...

Paul, what a cool technique. As always, it's such delight to learn from such a master!

Heather Lynn said...

lovely, Paul! your hard work payed off! :) hl

Jocelyn said...

Excellent. I tagged her technique to try as well. Thank for passing the info along...

alexa said...

Looks like a great technique - and the image and comment you've out together is great!

olive said...

gorgeous as always..... never heard of that glue, will have to check it out. Hopefully see you at VS in April. xxxx

Margaret Ann Moffat said...

fab thanks for saring

Dotpat said...

These are lovely Paul, like the colours you have used, too clever for words

Michele said...

Great technique. Love the vintage look it has given to the clock x

Andrea Ewen said...

What a great idea! I popped on over to her blog and wow! Such a simple technique with fantastic results! Your ATC's look awesome...I especially love the wording on them...how utterly creative you are.

Neet said...

Never heard of that glue or the technique - hope you include it in your next workshop.
Love yet another direction you have gone in.
Hugs, Neet x